The OLB Pipe Bridge is located within the INEOS Grangemouth Refinery Complex on the Forth Estuary, Scotland. The pipe bridge required extensive painting and blasting operations to prevent further structural deterioration.
Span Access were asked to design, engineer and install a suitable access solution for the work-scope.
• To provide access and encapsulation of the OLB pipe bridge for the containment of lead contaminated blast media.
• Minimal contact points to reduce snagging works.
• A lightweight solution with minimal sheeted areas to reduce wind
• Load was required due to condition and strength of the pipe bridge.
Span Access mobilised to site and the first task was to install parallel twin runway beams to allow swift relocation of the platform.
Upon the installation of the runway beams, the team built a TechniSpan mobile platform to catch the full width of the bridge and 10m long to reduce the loading on the structure and wind loading on the encapsulation sheeting.
Once the first section of works has been completed the Span team returned to move the platform to the next section. This was easily achieved as the platform was rigged off beam trolleys.
The finished product was delivered to the client within the time allocated and the project was delivered on time and within budget.
• Rapid Installation of Platform Access & subsequent relocation.
• 80% reduction in working at height and outboard working by using TechniSpan access platforms.
• Reduced load on structure with sheeting removable within 30 minutes of storm forecast.
• Cost of access reduced by 30% compared with traditional scaffold.
• 70% reduction in manual handling due to lightweight system